We are requesting that our community make homemade face masks. Our Guests, the Goodwill Inn and Safe Harbor teams all need masks, and this is the best way we can help.
You can help at home by using this pattern:
- Review the step-by-step instructions or video (below)
- Locate the appropriate material (need material? contact Supplies@gtsafeharbor.org )
- Wash your material 2 times with bleach
- Make us as many masks as you can
- Place them in a baggie marked “Safe Harbor” (important step)
- Drop the masks at the Goodwill Store (donation door), 2279 W. South Airport Road, Traverse City between Noon and 6pm Mon – Sun (everyday)
- You’re done!
Additional information from our Medical Director:
The CDC is recommending community-wide use of non-medical facial coverings when people are outside of their home to decrease community spread (person to person) of coronavirus.
▪ Homemade cloth facial coverings that go over the nose and mouth are recommended.
▪ Surgical masks and N95 masks are NOT recommended. These are desperately needed for direct patient care and first responders.
▪ Homemade masks can stop infected droplets from spewing out of the wearer’s nose or mouth. If everyone wears a facial covering, individuals can protect one another and reduce overall community spread of the virus.
▪ People, including YOU, can be infected and not have any symptoms. So wearing a facial covering helps to protect others in your community.
▪ Masks remind you not to touch your face. This reduces your chances of being infected with coronavirus.
Washing your hands is still the single most important action you can take to prevent coronavirus infection and avoid infecting others. Social distancing is still critical whether you wear a facial covering or not.